Keith and I attended the first day of the PSSA weekend meeting at the might Orme in Llandudno. A large collection of entnthusiastic knowledgeable individuals attended, including Andy Ellison and crew with their collection of Jarts and mouldies. Indeed they flew more than the PSS boys.
The wind at the edge of the South West slope was registering 45-50 mph. There were a few worried looking faces deciding that they understandably didn’t want to risk their precious models to the hazards of launching on the pressure lip at the top. I heard a few mutterings of “I think I will go and do the jobs I am being nagged to do and come back tomorrow.”
This is where my building mistakes worked to my advantage. My Alpha Jet weighs 1150 grams or 40 oz in old money instead of what Paul Janssen, the designer recommends – 890 grams or 31oz. What does extra weight mean – more speed in higher winds. I knew I didn’t have to worry about it coping, and it did – screamed around the sky in the booming lift, which at the Orme, as we all know is amazing.
It was very interesting to ask people about their models, and hear a ful history of everything there was to tell. Some of the finishes and detail of finish were astonishing.
I have put the pictures of all the models in our slide show picture section here – you can browse through at your leisure.
Worthy of note were
Matt Jones who last time brought an amazing huge white Vulcan which dwarfed mine, couldn’t fit it in the car, and had his brand new maiden flighted – in that wind – Electric Lightning which must have measured 4 feet in length.
Simon Cocker flew his huge Canberra to the amazement of all as it majestically rolled slowly then flew inverted – again with a huge wing area and a span of at least 8 feet.
Sadly one of the huge 1950’s jets, which I took a picture of before it crashed ended up in bits. They tried to launch it at the lip, a down draught caught it and it smashed on the rocks at the top. I must admit that I tried to launch at the edge as many did but failed, and went down the ledge below where the wind is much less punishing.
I didn’t risk launching my Vulcan but probably would have done if domestic obligations hadn’t pulled me away at 1.30. They are all flying now as I write this article – at least will be in 2 hours. Day 2 is forecast to be a lighter wind, which is better news for those with magnificent airframes of many hours construction.